In preparation for leveled reading this year, the district has established some guidelines to help you in your planning.
High Frequency Words:
Frequency Words will be used for K-5 Word Wall Words.
- 1-50 Kindergarten (read only)
- 1-100 First Grade (read & spell)
- 101-200 Second Grade (read & spell)
- 201-300 Third Grade (read & spell)
- 301-400 Fourth Grade (read & spell)
- 401-500 Fifth Grade (read & spell)
- 501-600 Accelerated
- Post your grade level words in your classroom. If you are teaching out-of-level for the reading block, provide students with a personal word wall for their planner, binder, etc
- Incorporate 3-4 Fry words into your weekly Scott Foresman Spelling as grade appropriate
- K-1 literacy block will consist of Guided Reading, Working with Words and Writing. Self-Selected Reading will be done outside the block
- 2-5 literacy block will consist of Guided Reading, Working with Words, and Self-Selected Reading. Writing will be done outside the block
- Writing strategies are tools to reach the Essential Skills in the writing area. It is ok to use a variety of strategies to meet the concept as outlined in the Essential Skills document
- It is important to teach a variety of genres in writing (not just narrative)
Lesson Planning for the Block
- When planning for literacy instruction, teachers need to teach the grade level skills as outlined in the Essential Skills document (4th grade students will be taught 4th Grade Essential Skills) However, the materials and resources used to instruct may be from a different grade level.
- Academic vocabulary will be taught at grade level and assessed at grade level. A classroom chart will be kept and it will be reported to the principal who will report to the Central Office. The first three weeks will be the pre-test, and the last three weeks will be the post test. You will receive a spreadsheet on which to record your students' scores.
- Essential Skills Document - select appropriate grade level tab at bottom
- Academic Vocabulary w/ definitions - select appropriate grade level tab at bottom
- Academic Vocabulary by content area- select appropriate grade level tab at bottom
- Fry High Frequency Word List
- Language Arts Curriculum Guid